Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Home Ec love


When I saw that Leigh-Ann, Rachel and Courtney were offering Home Ec again this spring, I thought it was the perfect time to share my thoughts about this amazing class. I should preface this by saying that before I took Home Ec last year I had NO idea how to work a sewing machine, and I couldn't have told you the difference between a bobbin and a feed dog. I probably would have thought either of those were a special breed of animal, to be honest! haha. But really, I was pretty clueless. My friend Adie is an expert sewer and crafter and had tried to show me how to sew years back when I first got my machine, but like I had feared I gave up the first time she wasn't there to help me, and my lonely little Singer began to collect dust in the corner. Soon it was put away, forgotten.

Fast forward a couple of years to last spring. I see a post about this new class for beginners. Home Ec. Awesome. I was immediately drawn to it- I was pregnant with Henry at the time, becoming a stay at home mom, and we were in the process of buying our first home.  There was nothing I wanted more than to be able to do crafty things around the house; sew curtains, make little plush animals, pillows, even Halloween costumes for my future son. I admit I was completely intimidated to even sign up for the class. Being that I was a complete newbie to the world of crafting, let alone sewing, trying something this new was a little unnerving. But I did it. And I am SO glad I did.

The class started at the most basic level and moved on from there. I learned the basics, and as although I didn't finish the entire course as things got busier towards the end of my pregnancy, I walked away with SO MUCH knowledge. Now, I am completely comfortable using my machine. I am currently working on a project for my son's nursery, and next week I'll be making curtains for our dining room. I love that I am no longer afraid to use it, and this has allowed my crafty side to come out. I feel more creative than I have in a long time, and it's such a great feeling to be able to execute (okay, at this point I'm still trying to execute) the ideas in my head.

With that said, if you've been thinking about signing up for the class but are on the fence, scared to try something new, or maybe you already know how to sew but want to improve your skills...just sign up. Seriously, just do it. I promise, you won't regret it!  And as for me, I'm off...to sew! And that's SEW COOL. hahaha! Okay. Cheesy, I know. ;)

If you do decide to take the class, let me know! Good luck and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment