Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Slice of...Corpus Christi, Texas!

Hello lovelies! Let me start by giving a HUGE congratulations to Danielle and welcome to little Henry. My how long have all of us Sometimes Sweet readers been awaiting his arrival! My name is Christina from over at http://www.cookielouisepleaze.blogspot.com I am a 27 year old wife, office manager, crafter, and youth volunteer so needless to say I'm a pretty busy bee. I live in Corpus Christi Texas with my sweet husband our 2 pups Roxi and Cookie Louise and our two kitties Henrietta and Lucille.

(click on the photos to view them larger)



I moved to Corpus eight years ago in the Fall of 2002 to begin my adventure as a college student at Texas A&M University- Corpus Christi. The Island University as it is called being that it sits on it's very own island on Corpus Christi Bay. As a former Houstonian I would have never imagined that I would stay in Corpus let alone grow to love this big, small town!



After meeting my husband during my second year of college I knew he was the one and seeing as he was born and raised here in the sparkling city by the sea I knew Corpus would have to be for me. There is so much to love about this city especially if you are of the outdoors persuasion. On a perfect South Texas Saturday morning you can find Ryan and I riding our bikes to the very BEST local short order diner Prices Chef! The cinnamon rolls are to DIE for so you have to get there early before they are all scooped up! This diner has been open in Corpus since 1940 and still has the cute swivel stools at the bar in front of the griddle, what's not to love?



After breakfast just a few blocks from our home is the Corpus Christi Bay made famous by Texas Country musician Robert Earl Keen. Down on the Bay is the marina where you can go sailing, have lunch or learn to paddle surf among other things. I like to go down and watch the shrimpers bring in their haul and haggle with them over a fair price...they love to haggle! Where else in a matter of hours can you prepare a meal with FRESH gulf shrimp right off of the boat that afternoon?





I am a HUGE lover of all things historical and our sweet little city has just the place for those of you like me... Heritage Park. The historical society at one point had all of the notable homes that were first built in Corpus Christi moved downtown to the heart of the museum district and restored. There you can tour the homes, attend our annual Jazz Fest, or have your wedding!

As I was taking these pics I couldn't help but think of the women that would have been looking out of these windows waiting for their husbands fearing attacks from the local Indians! One look into Corpus during her first years is "Maria Von Blucher's Corpus Christi" in this book you can read her letters home to Germany to her mother as she experiences South Texas. I actually had my wedding at the George Blucher House B&B...so perfect!





Another favorite pastime of mine is going antiquing with my mama on Saturday mornings. The great thing about Corpus is that pretty much all of the shops in town are consolidated to one block known as Antique Row! There you can find everything of the vintage persuasion, especially uber cute clothing.





Here in this beautiful South Texas city there is only so much shopping one can do then it's back outside for some mother nature. Did you know that Corpus Christi has the largest population of migratory birds? Well it does and we have a great bird watching sanctuary free to the public where you can spend some much needed quiet time. All you need is a pair of binoculars and a migratory bird reference book and you are all set to become an avid bird watcher!





Last but not least...the best part about living in Corpus Christi in my humble opinion...North Padre Island!! I never take for granted that I can be at the beach in half an hour. Some people go their whole lives with out setting eyes on the ocean. When you are at the beach it becomes very clear just how small we are in comparison to this wonderful world. She can be so calm yet so powerful, the waters span as far and as deep as we can imagine and then some.

Most weekends May through October you can find the locals surfing, fishing, skim boarding or just catching some rays right here on these beautiful Texas beaches. Last Memorial Day my Mister and I camped here for the first time and had a blast, there is just something to be said waking up to the sunrise on the oceans horizon.





I hope you all enjoyed this little slice of Corpus Christi, Texas! This city has a whole lot to offer so come on down and check it out. There is so much to do here in the Coastal Bend...guided offshore fishing, hunting, the Texas State Aquarium, the USS Lexington and GREAT Mexican food all with a beach town vibe.

Thank you again Danielle for letting me share South Texas with you and your wonderful readers and congrats again to you and Hank on your new bundle of joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment