Chundles
Oct 24, 08:38 AM
What about MACBOOKS?!
Hmmm.... let's see. Release two products and get ~1 week worth of press OR release 1 product followed 1 week later by another product and get 2 weeks of press.
And don't be that annoying "Make everything huge" guy.
Hmmm.... let's see. Release two products and get ~1 week worth of press OR release 1 product followed 1 week later by another product and get 2 weeks of press.
And don't be that annoying "Make everything huge" guy.

azentropy
May 3, 07:49 AM
Nice update, but I'll still focus on what is most disappointing to me:
- No Matte Option
- Still no wireless keyboard with numeric keypad!
- Lack of SSD options (was really hoping the rumor of a couple of months ago of a small SSD drive for boot).
- No Matte Option
- Still no wireless keyboard with numeric keypad!
- Lack of SSD options (was really hoping the rumor of a couple of months ago of a small SSD drive for boot).
MacRumorUser
Jun 6, 06:07 PM
So the story is, child downloads an app by mistake and apple refund them? How is that even a story? Worse story ever.....
smiddlehurst
May 3, 08:37 AM
And yet prices in the Australian Apple Store are still 25% higher than the USA Store. How rude, Apple.
Top end 27" iMac = US$1999, or in the Australian Store, AUD$2299 which at the current exchange rate is about US$2500. Why should we pay more, Apple? If anything, we're closer to China so should pay less on shipping!
Whilst it's slightly better than yesterdays prices, I'm still seriously not happy.
I'd buy one if we got the USA prices.
*sigh* Every time someone makes this mistake...
Bear in mind that the US prices do not include sales tax of any kind. In your case Australian prices include GST which I believe currently runs at 10%? If you're anything like the UK there may be additional import taxes to pay and the cost of doing business is likely to be higher (everything from shipping costs to salaries affect the price you pay at the checkout). Add in a margain that Apple will calculate to protect themselves from changes in the exchange rate and you'll probably be very close to price parity. Just as in the UK you're paying extra for the product because of the country, not because of Apple.
That's not to say Apple DON'T screw up on exchange rates and gouge the heck out of us non-Americans of course. The Mac Mini being the most recent, and painful, example. But you need to make sure you compare like for like before complaining.
Top end 27" iMac = US$1999, or in the Australian Store, AUD$2299 which at the current exchange rate is about US$2500. Why should we pay more, Apple? If anything, we're closer to China so should pay less on shipping!
Whilst it's slightly better than yesterdays prices, I'm still seriously not happy.
I'd buy one if we got the USA prices.
*sigh* Every time someone makes this mistake...
Bear in mind that the US prices do not include sales tax of any kind. In your case Australian prices include GST which I believe currently runs at 10%? If you're anything like the UK there may be additional import taxes to pay and the cost of doing business is likely to be higher (everything from shipping costs to salaries affect the price you pay at the checkout). Add in a margain that Apple will calculate to protect themselves from changes in the exchange rate and you'll probably be very close to price parity. Just as in the UK you're paying extra for the product because of the country, not because of Apple.
That's not to say Apple DON'T screw up on exchange rates and gouge the heck out of us non-Americans of course. The Mac Mini being the most recent, and painful, example. But you need to make sure you compare like for like before complaining.
dethmaShine
Apr 12, 10:14 AM
TB isn't redundant right now, it's dormant. The TB port on the MBPs right now is effectively useless until there are peripherals to connect to it. But as this thread demonstrates they are coming. First to the pro market but it will drip down during the course of the year. I think Mac OS X 10.7 and iOS5 are going to provide more urgency for TB in consumer markets as well. WWDC will be the big kick off.
Cool.
First has to be first somehow. ;)
I hope that iOS 5.0 and Mac OS X 10.7 (esp FCP) make TB much more clear to the peripheral makers and to the mass consumer.
Cheers.
Cool.
First has to be first somehow. ;)
I hope that iOS 5.0 and Mac OS X 10.7 (esp FCP) make TB much more clear to the peripheral makers and to the mass consumer.
Cheers.

johnnyrb
Apr 11, 04:32 PM
Why no Thunderbolt cards for MacPro users?

balamw
Oct 23, 02:26 PM
How would an operating system KNOW it is being run in virtualization? It cannot determine the difference from a real computer. We are talking about Vista like it is an artificial intelligence of some kind.
Same way iTunes can detect that you're trying to rip a CD from a virtual CD drive. (Even though this one is easily bypassed). There aren't that many VM packages and they all have a unique signature that can be detected which does not involve AI or even rocket science.
In the end though there is no point in discussing how they detect it, since it would appear that they don't plan use any technological means to stop you from doing what their EULA appears to say you can't do.
B
Same way iTunes can detect that you're trying to rip a CD from a virtual CD drive. (Even though this one is easily bypassed). There aren't that many VM packages and they all have a unique signature that can be detected which does not involve AI or even rocket science.
In the end though there is no point in discussing how they detect it, since it would appear that they don't plan use any technological means to stop you from doing what their EULA appears to say you can't do.
B
JohnK.O
Jul 24, 03:21 PM
well this is lovely news, but will the new MM solve the continuously gunked up scroll ball??
/user/me
May 1, 11:48 PM
On that note:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M
Mac Fly (film)
Aug 15, 04:57 PM
I want mine to use the old-school Mac voice that Radiohead used in "Fitter Happier."
I used to be a big fan of Radiohead, I have most of their albums, but I no longer listen to them. I'm gone very Jazz and 80's lately :p
I used to be a big fan of Radiohead, I have most of their albums, but I no longer listen to them. I'm gone very Jazz and 80's lately :p
crees!
Dec 1, 03:41 PM
It has been brought to attention that Apple is encrypting certain parts of the OS kernel. Does this have any bearing in this discussion or it is only to make piracy of the OS more difficult?
MartiNZ
Mar 31, 02:31 PM
Not sure if it has been said, but, changes for iChat - any chance of proper MSN support? I never got the jabber workaround to work reliably for long, but it would be sooo nice to be able to use the built-in app, just like when they finally did Exchange support in Mail. I can dream.
sicembears
Sep 30, 12:58 PM
I had one of the 1000 I'm sure VPs of Verizon check into my hotel a few weeks before the iPhone launch. I asked him what he thought and he said the iPhone is amazing I wish we could have gotten it. He said watch though it will bring down AT&Ts network. He went on to talk about how their network is crap.......I still can't make, receive, send or get text messages or mail during any sporting event in my city. It was the same when it first came out and it is the same last week at the game. We'll see this week but I'm not holding my breath after this many years.
I believe him now.
I believe him now.
Danindub
Jun 6, 11:01 AM
I don't get what is the fuss about - many times I wasn't happy with purchased app, album, or downloaded something by mistake - and never had problems getting refunds from apple...
DaBlackMamba
Mar 17, 10:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)
Anyone know about fi or scp?
Anyone know about fi or scp?
renewed
Sep 15, 07:48 PM
The bundle is 250gb.
Have to say, I'm jealous of the Reach buyers. Getting ready to move so need to stick to essential expenditures :(
I just got an email that says mine has shipped. I cannot wait! Luckily I get my 50" Plasma back tomorrow so good timing!
Have to say, I'm jealous of the Reach buyers. Getting ready to move so need to stick to essential expenditures :(
I just got an email that says mine has shipped. I cannot wait! Luckily I get my 50" Plasma back tomorrow so good timing!
Chas2010
Apr 14, 04:33 PM
Calling people "douchebags"? Seriously, get some grown up patter ... honestly to God, what is this? US TV Stereotypes Vol.1?
It's not "beyond picky" based on two FACTS.
1. It wasn't present or an issue in iOS 4.0 to 4.2.
2. The stock Apple apps don't do it, so to say it's Apple making the apps launch quicker would require 0.0002 seconds of brain power to realise, "Oh wait, if they were making apps load quicker, it'd be across the ENTIRE operating system".
Think. Think some more. Then consider typing ...
I completely echo this comment. When I got my iPhone 4, I was completely ecstatic with its speed in every app. It was so fast that I would send myself text messages as quick reminders, rather than using any app to do the same. Now, however, it no longer runs fast enough for that. I'm used to Wintel products running slower over time, but I don't expect this from Apple.
It's not "beyond picky" based on two FACTS.
1. It wasn't present or an issue in iOS 4.0 to 4.2.
2. The stock Apple apps don't do it, so to say it's Apple making the apps launch quicker would require 0.0002 seconds of brain power to realise, "Oh wait, if they were making apps load quicker, it'd be across the ENTIRE operating system".
Think. Think some more. Then consider typing ...
I completely echo this comment. When I got my iPhone 4, I was completely ecstatic with its speed in every app. It was so fast that I would send myself text messages as quick reminders, rather than using any app to do the same. Now, however, it no longer runs fast enough for that. I'm used to Wintel products running slower over time, but I don't expect this from Apple.
nilk
Apr 13, 02:29 PM
man how much would this thing cost? the 27" display is already 1000 bucks, and this would have to be at lease 42" for people to put it in their living rooms.
Apple 27" display is 2560x1440 resolution. A 1080P TV is 1920x1080. There is a big difference in cost of the panel. Any 2560x1440 display is going to cost in the ball park that Apple's 27" is in. I paid about $1150 for my Dell U3011 (30" 2560x1600) and I am perfectly happy having paid that for the number of pixels I get. 1080P panels are a lot cheaper due to being easier to manufacturer and the fact that they sell much higher quantities than high-res panels like those in the Apple 27" or a 2560x1600 30" (economies of scale).
Though I don't think Apple is making a TV, but if they do, it better be a plasma (better picture quality than LCD).
Apple 27" display is 2560x1440 resolution. A 1080P TV is 1920x1080. There is a big difference in cost of the panel. Any 2560x1440 display is going to cost in the ball park that Apple's 27" is in. I paid about $1150 for my Dell U3011 (30" 2560x1600) and I am perfectly happy having paid that for the number of pixels I get. 1080P panels are a lot cheaper due to being easier to manufacturer and the fact that they sell much higher quantities than high-res panels like those in the Apple 27" or a 2560x1600 30" (economies of scale).
Though I don't think Apple is making a TV, but if they do, it better be a plasma (better picture quality than LCD).
peapody
Feb 1, 09:47 PM
these "Post your last purchase" threads are addicting. Interesting to see what people are out buying. :D
Bought a used cyclocross bike yesterday. Any bikers here?
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/redline.jpg
Nice bike. How much did it run you?
There is a whole lot of members here who bike...
Picture of Your Bike thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=218370&page=32)
Bought a used cyclocross bike yesterday. Any bikers here?
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/redline.jpg
Nice bike. How much did it run you?
There is a whole lot of members here who bike...
Picture of Your Bike thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=218370&page=32)
Onigiri
Sep 13, 11:03 AM
awesome .. i might pick one up .. what journals are you using in them .. so i can pick one up
I use THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Ruled-Notebook-Large/dp/8883701127/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284393671&sr=8-1) one for the Large Moleskine Cover and THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Moleskine-Ruled-Notebook-Pocket/dp/8883701003/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1284393693&sr=8-4) one for the Small Moleskine Cover.
I think you'll love them. They're really pretty amazing.
I use THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Ruled-Notebook-Large/dp/8883701127/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284393671&sr=8-1) one for the Large Moleskine Cover and THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Moleskine-Ruled-Notebook-Pocket/dp/8883701003/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1284393693&sr=8-4) one for the Small Moleskine Cover.
I think you'll love them. They're really pretty amazing.
Moyank24
Apr 27, 08:56 PM
For now, I'll switch. Nies
underdub
Apr 25, 09:57 PM
LOL. love all these posts.
Can I start a post thats about how Im anxiously awaiting the END of all these "when is the new iMac coming out" threads?......
.....please lets move on...
Gosh. I wish I was cool like you. Do you own a Mac? Cool.
Can I start a post thats about how Im anxiously awaiting the END of all these "when is the new iMac coming out" threads?......
.....please lets move on...
Gosh. I wish I was cool like you. Do you own a Mac? Cool.
psychspirit
Aug 5, 03:22 PM
I've had them all since Gen one excpet for the Video. Lost my Nano and gave other away. Now just have a Gen 3. Need a new one here soon when they make a car adaptor for the optical bus equipped BMWs. Gen 3 will go there and the new one will be for home, work and travel.
Is the smart play to wait a month or two?
eh..I heard the next generation of ipods will be released next year. Probably in November, just before Christmas. I didn't know they were going to release the video ipod or else I would've waited two months before getting my ipod photo!
Is the smart play to wait a month or two?
eh..I heard the next generation of ipods will be released next year. Probably in November, just before Christmas. I didn't know they were going to release the video ipod or else I would've waited two months before getting my ipod photo!
mklos
Dec 3, 09:56 AM
Router, firewall I feel OK.
I hate to tell you this, but they are really no help when it comes to spyware. I don't know what you were referring to there, but with adware/spyware they won't help you one bit. Adware comes mostly through port 80, which is the port the internet comes through. So if you want, you can set your router/firewall to block port 80, but then you don't have any internet.
That being said, someone could figure out how to get around a firewall. As with any software based firewall, there are vulnerabilities in it, even the OS X one. A router (hardware based), well, thats a little different.
But there are things Apple could do to make OS X more secure. Hopefully Leopard will patch a bunch of holes and make it even harder for adware and anything else to get in. Then release patches for Panther/Tiger. They've done this in the past with Tiger security enhancements and then releasing a patch for Panther.
I believe SecurityWorks (or whatever they're called), works with Apple now instead of against them to aid in finding "holes" in the system. This is the way it should be. They should be hiring people/companies to find holes in the OS and to report them exclusively to Apple ONLY so they can be fixed.
We Mac users are way to secure with ourselves and one day its going to bite us in the butt bigtime. A lot of us throw the talk to the hand up when OS X starts getting bashed about its insecurity. This is a bad thing and some of us need to shape up. These very people will be the first to bitch and complain about their Mac getting spyware and/or viruses when it happens. And of course, its all Apple's fault!
I hate to tell you this, but they are really no help when it comes to spyware. I don't know what you were referring to there, but with adware/spyware they won't help you one bit. Adware comes mostly through port 80, which is the port the internet comes through. So if you want, you can set your router/firewall to block port 80, but then you don't have any internet.
That being said, someone could figure out how to get around a firewall. As with any software based firewall, there are vulnerabilities in it, even the OS X one. A router (hardware based), well, thats a little different.
But there are things Apple could do to make OS X more secure. Hopefully Leopard will patch a bunch of holes and make it even harder for adware and anything else to get in. Then release patches for Panther/Tiger. They've done this in the past with Tiger security enhancements and then releasing a patch for Panther.
I believe SecurityWorks (or whatever they're called), works with Apple now instead of against them to aid in finding "holes" in the system. This is the way it should be. They should be hiring people/companies to find holes in the OS and to report them exclusively to Apple ONLY so they can be fixed.
We Mac users are way to secure with ourselves and one day its going to bite us in the butt bigtime. A lot of us throw the talk to the hand up when OS X starts getting bashed about its insecurity. This is a bad thing and some of us need to shape up. These very people will be the first to bitch and complain about their Mac getting spyware and/or viruses when it happens. And of course, its all Apple's fault!
No comments:
Post a Comment