powers74
May 5, 09:27 AM
OMG....I would NEVER take information as fact from an "ATT customer service agent". I have received so much wrong info or even been dare I say lied to, I would never trust what a random ATT rep said.
Not to mention, the service reps are so far down the chain of command, they would not have info on when the next iphone is being released.
Not only that, most of them aren't even actual ATT employees.
I still say the update is moving to Jan.
Not to mention, the service reps are so far down the chain of command, they would not have info on when the next iphone is being released.
Not only that, most of them aren't even actual ATT employees.
I still say the update is moving to Jan.
cvaldes
Apr 22, 10:47 AM
Many get garbage 3G speeds on AT&T in many areas anyway, so what's the point of having a 4G iPhone that GSM provider (insert AT&T) in the US can't even support on a mass basis?
Theoretically, the 4G LTE iPhone would work great in countries not named the United States of America.
59% of Apple's revenue comes from international markets.
Theoretically, the 4G LTE iPhone would work great in countries not named the United States of America.
59% of Apple's revenue comes from international markets.
notabadname
Apr 28, 11:19 AM
Hmmmm . . .
Should Google be more excited about how many copies of Android it has sold . . . .
Or Apple about how many copies of the iPhone it has sold ?
(little hint, Google isn't selling the Android OS)
Should Google be more excited about how many copies of Android it has sold . . . .
Or Apple about how many copies of the iPhone it has sold ?
(little hint, Google isn't selling the Android OS)
Macsterguy
Apr 25, 12:46 PM
It has been a while since the last refresh and if you follow things here, you would have known to wait.
I have an iPad and use iTeleport on my iPhone 4 and iPad to remote access from my home network and remotely into my iMac. Works fairly well. There is some lag but when you need to get some stuff done, it can be quite useful. I wouldn't recommend it for significant workload.
They won't refresh again before Lion, probably not for another year, but they will ship with Lion when it comes out. Lion will cost you whatever it retails for, whether that is $129 or $29 (and I'm guessing it will be back to the $129 as it isn't the minor bump Snow Leopard was), with the only exception being that once they announce a release date (probably at WWDC), any machines purchased after that and before the release will be eligible for a copy of Lion at $9.99 shipping fee, so you aren't discouraged from buying during that 2-8 week period.
Honestly, I've looked at the dimensions and because of the wider aspect, the lack of an aluminum border, and almost edge to edge screen the 27" iMac is not much larger dimensionally than the 24", though the screen is larger of course.
Personally, I am waiting to update my 24" 2.8 Ghz Extreme iMac (aluminum rev. A - Aug 2007) to a new 27" but will hold out a couple extra months for a 10.7 preloaded machine. I prefer to do a clean OS install which I don't want to repeat so soon. Setting up all those apps, and copying in libraries, files, and other data from a backup is something I only want to do once.
Partition your HD with OS and apps on one, your stuff on another. Then it is all easy.... anytime
I have an iPad and use iTeleport on my iPhone 4 and iPad to remote access from my home network and remotely into my iMac. Works fairly well. There is some lag but when you need to get some stuff done, it can be quite useful. I wouldn't recommend it for significant workload.
They won't refresh again before Lion, probably not for another year, but they will ship with Lion when it comes out. Lion will cost you whatever it retails for, whether that is $129 or $29 (and I'm guessing it will be back to the $129 as it isn't the minor bump Snow Leopard was), with the only exception being that once they announce a release date (probably at WWDC), any machines purchased after that and before the release will be eligible for a copy of Lion at $9.99 shipping fee, so you aren't discouraged from buying during that 2-8 week period.
Honestly, I've looked at the dimensions and because of the wider aspect, the lack of an aluminum border, and almost edge to edge screen the 27" iMac is not much larger dimensionally than the 24", though the screen is larger of course.
Personally, I am waiting to update my 24" 2.8 Ghz Extreme iMac (aluminum rev. A - Aug 2007) to a new 27" but will hold out a couple extra months for a 10.7 preloaded machine. I prefer to do a clean OS install which I don't want to repeat so soon. Setting up all those apps, and copying in libraries, files, and other data from a backup is something I only want to do once.
Partition your HD with OS and apps on one, your stuff on another. Then it is all easy.... anytime
SactoGuy18
Apr 30, 08:28 AM
I guessing you been living under a rock.. Because my Truck CD Player plays AAC, PS3, Xbox360, PSP, DSi, 3DS, my wife and daughter's Android phone all play AAC.. The list can go on... Google is your friend....
I'm talking about portable music players that store music with a hard drive or flash memory that are NOT the Apple iPod models. In that case, it's only the higher-end players that support the AAC format, unless you buy Sony's current Walkman line of portable music players.
I'm talking about portable music players that store music with a hard drive or flash memory that are NOT the Apple iPod models. In that case, it's only the higher-end players that support the AAC format, unless you buy Sony's current Walkman line of portable music players.
amarcus
Mar 31, 03:28 PM
Presumably there'll be a cheaper version with faux polyurethane?
Ha, I realise your kidding but I actually think that might look alot better...
Ha, I realise your kidding but I actually think that might look alot better...
ddrueckhammer
Jul 11, 08:02 PM
Bingo.
When you think about it, the PSP could (perhaps should) have been the coolest thing since sliced bread with all its features and even movies and Sony's music service tailor-made for it. So what happened? Sony's atrocious proprietary scheme has made it a shell of what it could have been. I have a feeling MS hasn't learned any lessons since the "Works for Sure" campaign became something of a running joke.
Nintendo could have done the same thing with the DS Lite. There are addons for web, music, and video for this device and the battery life would still be on par with iPods...They, probably wisely, decided to keep the price of their device down and provide these features as accessories. Not everyone needs their portable device to do everything but the iPod, PSP, and DS Lite all have the potential for being brilliant convergence devices. Microsoft's talents in this area are still untested. The cellular companies would like their phones to be ultimate convergence devices but the are too greedy (at least in America) for their own good and most of the devices come off as buggy and overpriced...It is interesting, however, that Microsoft is willing to put their Xbox brand (which is pretty well accepted) in the untested market...
When you think about it, the PSP could (perhaps should) have been the coolest thing since sliced bread with all its features and even movies and Sony's music service tailor-made for it. So what happened? Sony's atrocious proprietary scheme has made it a shell of what it could have been. I have a feeling MS hasn't learned any lessons since the "Works for Sure" campaign became something of a running joke.
Nintendo could have done the same thing with the DS Lite. There are addons for web, music, and video for this device and the battery life would still be on par with iPods...They, probably wisely, decided to keep the price of their device down and provide these features as accessories. Not everyone needs their portable device to do everything but the iPod, PSP, and DS Lite all have the potential for being brilliant convergence devices. Microsoft's talents in this area are still untested. The cellular companies would like their phones to be ultimate convergence devices but the are too greedy (at least in America) for their own good and most of the devices come off as buggy and overpriced...It is interesting, however, that Microsoft is willing to put their Xbox brand (which is pretty well accepted) in the untested market...
TroyBoy30
Apr 15, 02:13 PM
battery life is still the same on my 4 as the day i bought it. no loss over night and almost an hour of usage before it drops to 99%

ericshu
Sep 30, 10:16 AM
:rolleyes: Wow, both of you missed it entirely. My point is the same as yours.
The poster I replied to suggested that Apple could have split their contract so that both AT&T and Verizon would have the iPhone (meaning better overall service today). But in the end, that would mean less profit for Apple.
I was explaining that Apple would not have made an exclusive agreement had there been no extra money involved. That's my point.
Exactly!!! Could not have said it better! Cannot see the forest for the trees!!!!!!!!
The poster I replied to suggested that Apple could have split their contract so that both AT&T and Verizon would have the iPhone (meaning better overall service today). But in the end, that would mean less profit for Apple.
I was explaining that Apple would not have made an exclusive agreement had there been no extra money involved. That's my point.
Exactly!!! Could not have said it better! Cannot see the forest for the trees!!!!!!!!
uwetodd
Apr 26, 01:51 PM
Entitlement? Nope. The remark was mostly tongue-in-cheek. I personally couldn't care less.
The entitlement comment wasn't necessarily aimed at you, just the latter. Sorry for the confusion. :)
The entitlement comment wasn't necessarily aimed at you, just the latter. Sorry for the confusion. :)
Cuthbert
Apr 13, 01:49 PM
wohoo!
I would be greatly interested in this. Likely would not buy the first generation. It would aso depend on size and actual features. Ive been greatly disappointed in the revamp of the apple tv and am looking for apple to do more for my living room than this past pathetic attempt at ATV2.
I would be greatly interested in this. Likely would not buy the first generation. It would aso depend on size and actual features. Ive been greatly disappointed in the revamp of the apple tv and am looking for apple to do more for my living room than this past pathetic attempt at ATV2.

Willis
Aug 1, 10:48 AM
'Microsoft's Zune - Long Term Effort'... yeah, in R&D. 3-5 years time for a product is crazy. The market wont want what they will have on offer in that time. Its like that origami or whatever it is. Something that cropped up on MR, and then disappeared. no one cares.
Eldiablojoe
Apr 30, 03:29 PM
good job everyone, including plutonius and appleguy
now it is basically one spanking new 6-villagers game, starting tonight, with one wolf, one seer and likely one hunter.
with a twist: both the seer and the hunter could also be the wolf.
everyone is suspect.
make it a short night guys, see you all tomorrowUmmm, I'm not sure this game is over yet... there's still an infected Villager out there...
now it is basically one spanking new 6-villagers game, starting tonight, with one wolf, one seer and likely one hunter.
with a twist: both the seer and the hunter could also be the wolf.
everyone is suspect.
make it a short night guys, see you all tomorrowUmmm, I'm not sure this game is over yet... there's still an infected Villager out there...
ERICLRICH
Apr 23, 09:26 PM
AT&T=High prices (unlimited talk for $69.99 a month!).:mad:
Verizon=Can't talk and web at same time.:mad:
T-Mobile=Do EVERYTHING FAST for a cheap price!!!:D
This will be great because I always wanted an iPhone on T-Mobile.:)
They should put 4G on the T-Mobile iPhone because 3G is just too old for a new phone.
EDGE is just tooooooooooooooooooo slow.
Also possibly Mobile Hotspot may be included for FREE!!!:D
Plus Unlimited Data for like $10 a month!!!:D
Verizon=Can't talk and web at same time.:mad:
T-Mobile=Do EVERYTHING FAST for a cheap price!!!:D
This will be great because I always wanted an iPhone on T-Mobile.:)
They should put 4G on the T-Mobile iPhone because 3G is just too old for a new phone.
EDGE is just tooooooooooooooooooo slow.
Also possibly Mobile Hotspot may be included for FREE!!!:D
Plus Unlimited Data for like $10 a month!!!:D
yellow
Dec 4, 03:50 PM
Personally I voted no, not because I am ignorant, but because there wasn't a more appropriate answer. It is my job to be concerned about all aspects of computing, but I am NO MORE concerned because of this "month of kernel bugs" than I was before the month of November. I also I find it highly unlikely that I will be nipped by any of these bugs shoehorned into malware before they are wiped clean by a security update.

DrJohnnyN
May 3, 07:42 AM
Cool!
elray
Apr 14, 11:24 AM
white iphone is ugly late and unnecessary so apple can keep it.. they never made it cause demand was always lower for white ones and the white design look worse on iphone 4 than on 3gs..
I guess it's just a matter of preference. I personally think the white iPhone 4 is gorgeous, while my white 3g always reminded me of an Oreo cookie.
And it seems like the demand for the white one has been pretty high since they unveiled it last year. Not to mention they have produced white iPad 2's which seem to be pretty popular.
I guess it's just a matter of preference. I personally think the white iPhone 4 is gorgeous, while my white 3g always reminded me of an Oreo cookie.
And it seems like the demand for the white one has been pretty high since they unveiled it last year. Not to mention they have produced white iPad 2's which seem to be pretty popular.
eastercat
Apr 24, 01:13 AM
There are people who think ignorance is acceptable. :rolleyes:
Now, all they need is to unlock the phone and we'll know the exclusivity contract is broken.
I think "cali" is acceptable.
Now, all they need is to unlock the phone and we'll know the exclusivity contract is broken.
I think "cali" is acceptable.

BRLawyer
Dec 2, 05:48 AM
I agree with the few others that are concerned about this.
Our Mac OS innocence is coming to an end. Part of this is due to the growing market share, and popularity in the Operating system. The other issue I feel that is of concern, is the new challenge this OS provides for Script kiddies, and bored coders. If you have an ego, and want to get your name out, why not do what hasn't been done before, as opposed to doing what everyone else does ?
This is going to be a growing trend, and the amount of Mac Haters in the wild is quite high! Once code tricks and secrets start to get out, it is only a matter of time before OS X is targeted by thousands, much like XP!
Apple has time to take this very seriously, and work to keep this system tight and secure! Hopefully this is going to be a big part of the focus on Leopard, but only developers will really know this!
These current headlines aside
1. Pay attention to what warning messages pop up when browsing the web.
2. Only download and install software from sources that you trust, and if you do trust them, take an extra moment to think about why you trust them, and if you really need to install that piece of 3rd party software!
3. Keep your firewalls on if possible
4. Don't permanently unlock preferences, folders, or other security areas on your system using your keychain, unless you really need to do so!
There are others, however that is a good baseline to follow for some minimal security checks and balances!
And here we go again with the "security through obscurity" myth...please, don't spread such things again, because they are not true.
The mere fact that some kernel vulnerabilities were discovered in an event SPECIFICALLY devoted to finding such things does not mean our OS X is unsafe. It is by far the MOST secure system out there, with 40 million or 400 million users, and nobody has been able to prove the opposite so far.
Besides, some (or many) of the arguments posed by this "anonymous" LMH were already debunked by other security analysts. Just an example:
"Apple DMG flaw not so serious? SecurityFocus reports on the controversy surrounding a disk image denial of service potentiality in Mac OS X. "While the common wisdom in the security world is that crashes are exploitable, Mac programmer Alastair Houghton published his kernel-code analysis showing that this particular vulnerability is not. "In fact, all (the MoKB) has found here is a bug that causes a kernel panic," Houghton wrote in his analysis. "Not a security flaw. Not a memory corruption bug. Just a completely orderly kernel panic." Following the analysis, Secunia downgraded their severity rating of the vulnerability from "highly critical" to "not critical." Several other companies still have the vulnerability rated as critical. The actions follow a heated exchange between Houghton and the founder of the Month of Kernel Bugs (MoKB) Project, a person who identifies himself as only L.M.H. Because of the exchange, Houghton decided to spend three days analyzing the issue and had his final analysis checked by Thomas Ptacek, a security researcher and founder of Matasano Security."
http://www.macfixit.com/
So please...before spreading more FUD in this forum, check the facts and take some time before believing some strange guys pretending to be specialists...
Our Mac OS innocence is coming to an end. Part of this is due to the growing market share, and popularity in the Operating system. The other issue I feel that is of concern, is the new challenge this OS provides for Script kiddies, and bored coders. If you have an ego, and want to get your name out, why not do what hasn't been done before, as opposed to doing what everyone else does ?
This is going to be a growing trend, and the amount of Mac Haters in the wild is quite high! Once code tricks and secrets start to get out, it is only a matter of time before OS X is targeted by thousands, much like XP!
Apple has time to take this very seriously, and work to keep this system tight and secure! Hopefully this is going to be a big part of the focus on Leopard, but only developers will really know this!
These current headlines aside
1. Pay attention to what warning messages pop up when browsing the web.
2. Only download and install software from sources that you trust, and if you do trust them, take an extra moment to think about why you trust them, and if you really need to install that piece of 3rd party software!
3. Keep your firewalls on if possible
4. Don't permanently unlock preferences, folders, or other security areas on your system using your keychain, unless you really need to do so!
There are others, however that is a good baseline to follow for some minimal security checks and balances!
And here we go again with the "security through obscurity" myth...please, don't spread such things again, because they are not true.
The mere fact that some kernel vulnerabilities were discovered in an event SPECIFICALLY devoted to finding such things does not mean our OS X is unsafe. It is by far the MOST secure system out there, with 40 million or 400 million users, and nobody has been able to prove the opposite so far.
Besides, some (or many) of the arguments posed by this "anonymous" LMH were already debunked by other security analysts. Just an example:
"Apple DMG flaw not so serious? SecurityFocus reports on the controversy surrounding a disk image denial of service potentiality in Mac OS X. "While the common wisdom in the security world is that crashes are exploitable, Mac programmer Alastair Houghton published his kernel-code analysis showing that this particular vulnerability is not. "In fact, all (the MoKB) has found here is a bug that causes a kernel panic," Houghton wrote in his analysis. "Not a security flaw. Not a memory corruption bug. Just a completely orderly kernel panic." Following the analysis, Secunia downgraded their severity rating of the vulnerability from "highly critical" to "not critical." Several other companies still have the vulnerability rated as critical. The actions follow a heated exchange between Houghton and the founder of the Month of Kernel Bugs (MoKB) Project, a person who identifies himself as only L.M.H. Because of the exchange, Houghton decided to spend three days analyzing the issue and had his final analysis checked by Thomas Ptacek, a security researcher and founder of Matasano Security."
http://www.macfixit.com/
So please...before spreading more FUD in this forum, check the facts and take some time before believing some strange guys pretending to be specialists...
dextertangocci
Jul 28, 07:19 AM
It will FAIL!!!!!!!
Idiot M$:rolleyes:
Idiot M$:rolleyes:
cwerdna
Jan 27, 03:19 PM
you guys think Apple stock has dropped? Take a look at Google.... WOW.
Not sure what your point is, AAPL has done a LOT worse percentage-wise in the last few weeks than GOOG.
See http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GOOG&t=3m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=aapl and http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/print/print.asp?frames=0&time=4&freq=1&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&comp=goog&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&style=320&size=2&unused=0&o_symb=aapl&startdate=&enddate=&show=true&symb=aapl&draw.x=16&draw.y=17&default=true&backurl=%2Fadvchart%2Fframes%2Fmain%2Easp&prms=qcd&sid=609.
Not sure what your point is, AAPL has done a LOT worse percentage-wise in the last few weeks than GOOG.
See http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GOOG&t=3m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=aapl and http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/print/print.asp?frames=0&time=4&freq=1&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&comp=goog&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&style=320&size=2&unused=0&o_symb=aapl&startdate=&enddate=&show=true&symb=aapl&draw.x=16&draw.y=17&default=true&backurl=%2Fadvchart%2Fframes%2Fmain%2Easp&prms=qcd&sid=609.
Keleko
Apr 11, 08:10 PM
I'm glad to see all the new contributors. Don't worry if you don't think they're good enough. I haven't seen anyone's pictures that don't belong here. If there is criticism it is meant to be helpful and not insulting.
And, here's my simple shot for today.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5029/5610705883_4103040aff_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22077805@N07/5610705883/in/set-72157624631747093/)
And, here's my simple shot for today.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5029/5610705883_4103040aff_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22077805@N07/5610705883/in/set-72157624631747093/)
twoodcc
Nov 25, 04:17 AM
By "small render farm", I mean small! It's made up of 6 Dell GX270, running P4 2.4ghz single core, with my MP as the Que controller (Ubuntu via Parallels). But they should working out pretty good for continuous folding for the time being. I'm building 5 dual processor, dual core Xeon servers (all 2.66ghz) to replace the Dells but that won't happen until the end of December (i'm getting ready to move from Japan back to the States in two weeks and I have most of my stuff packed up). Once I get settled back in the States and have the new servers running, I should be able to commit some good firepower towards the team effort.
sounds good.
sounds good.
Eidorian
Oct 23, 11:32 AM
Steve Gibson (http://grc.com/) (love him or hate him) reports that Vista's rewritten network stack, through the various betas, has been shown vulnerable to a number of the exploits that more mature stacks (e.g. BSD's stack, the one MS used to quietly use) have fixed over the past decade! It just seems ludicrous.And if someone wants to listen to it...
Security Now! 51: Vista's Virgin Stack (http://www.twit.tv/sn51)
Microsoft's Vista EULA says:
4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.
This means you can't use the *same* installation of Vista Home inside a virtualization technology on the "licensed device".It still looks like they don't want you to install it on a VM if you have it already installed on your system. Still, that's up in the air and we just LOVE Microsoft.
Security Now! 51: Vista's Virgin Stack (http://www.twit.tv/sn51)
Microsoft's Vista EULA says:
4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.
This means you can't use the *same* installation of Vista Home inside a virtualization technology on the "licensed device".It still looks like they don't want you to install it on a VM if you have it already installed on your system. Still, that's up in the air and we just LOVE Microsoft.
No comments:
Post a Comment